Internship Tips and Exploration
“Students’ major and GPA, as well as the college they graduated from, matter less to employers than do internships and firsthand experience.” —National Association of Colleges and Employers
Internships provide students the opportunity to gain valuable experience, develop social capital, explore career fields, and make connections in professional fields. In addition, internships serve as a significant recruiting opportunity for employers, providing them with the opportunity to guide and evaluate potential candidates.
Benefits of Interning
- Explore career options related to your interest, values, skills and personality
- A student will gain career readiness skills, including self-confidence
- Gather insight into a particular industry or organizational culture
- Develop related work experience and apply classroom learning to the internship
- Establish connections and build a network of contacts
Consider the skills you may want to develop:
- What skills will be beneficial in the field you wish to pursue?
- What skills do you lack, or require improvement?
- What environment will provide you with the opportunity to develop these skills?
- We suggest you begin your search 3-6 months prior to an internship start date.
Start Your Internship Search Now:
Campground operators often recruit high school and college students to handle a variety of staffing needs during the peak summer season.
In many areas of the country, however, there simply aren’t enough local high school or college students to satisfy …
Students hoping to catch the eye of potential employers through their resume should forego relying only on their strong GPA and instead highlight the attributes and skills they developed in their classwork and through their various experiential assignments, according to …
What are automated alert emails?
Automated alert emails bring curated career content directly to your inbox. You can set preferences for the content you would like to receive …
Take a look at the upcoming career fairs and activities coming this semester!
Hospitality Career Expo – Tuesday, February 20, 2024
In collaboration with The Collins College of Hospitality Management, students can meet with leading hospitality industry firms and representatives …
Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s Corporate Equality Index is the national benchmarking tool on corporate policies, practices and benefits pertinent to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer employees.
The Human Rights Campaign Foundation is proud to recognize the 842 businesses …