Build your Network
Networking is the process of making personal and professional connections and building relationships among people with a common profession or interest . Through conversations with people in your network, you can:
- Increase your exposure to prospective employers.
- Gain “inside” information on future job openings
- Speak to people who are employed by your target companies.
- Get personal referrals to other people who might provide information or job leads related to the career you are pursuing
- Brainstorm a list of personal and professional references
- Ask your connections (family, friends, classmates, employer, mentors, faculty, etc.) if they have anyone else they recommend you speak with based on your interests and questions
- Have copies of you resume printed or readily available to share.
- Practice your elevator pitch with family, friends, and during a Career Counseling session.
- Research the company/persons at the networking event to help you prepare questions and demonstrate your interest in the company.
- Don’t be afraid to start a conversation!
- Ask open-ended questions that will allow you to build on the answers. Remember networking is about building relationships.
- Ask questions! Most have been in your shoes, take advantage of the opportunity to gain insight in your industry.
- Ask for your contact person’s business card or email at the end of a conversation.
- Send a thank you email and follow up occasionally to provide updates on your education progression, employment status, and inquire about work opportunities.
- Connect with your new contacts on LinkedIn.
Many students go to college to find themselves as worthy candidates for a lofty job down the line. Despite the cacophony of noise around the value of a degree, business employers still prefer job candidates with one. However, college isn’t …
Join the Career Center in preparation for the all major Spring Career Fair Monday through Thursday on February 26th to February 29th!
Students will be able to attend industry professional hosted resume drop-in hours and career counselor hosted mini workshops!
Check out these tips to help prepare for the upcoming career fairs!
Career Fairs are right around the corner! We highly recommend checking out these tips to help you prep! Be sure to register in advance and check out more …
What are automated alert emails?
Automated alert emails bring curated career content directly to your inbox. You can set preferences for the content you would like to receive …